Monday, March 19, 2007

Find Your Voice

I know there are a lot of people who may not like the way things are in this world, but they do not speak out.

I feel sorry for them being afraid to voice their opinion, because I once was one of them.

I am talking about the person who's dinner order at a restaurant is wrong, but doesn't say anything and eats a meal that is not right. The person who is overcharged and just pays it without complaining. The person who is made fun of and never defends them self.
The person who is with a group of people and someone makes a racist remake and they say nothing for fear of making a scene. The person who allows censorship to flourish because they are afraid people will not like their views.

I used to not speak out. I finally realized I was not doing me or my children any favors by keeping quiet. Sure I want people to like me, but sometimes wrong is wrong and we need to speak up against it.

It took me a while to come to this state. It happened at a local merchant meeting where the leader made an anti-semitic remark. I didn't say anything and I felt so dirty! I vowed to not ever let things like that pass with out comment again. Think about it, where would we be without the Rosa Parks of this world? Baby, just get on that bus!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh, thank you for this. I always feel petty when I am overcharged or my food is wrong and I mention it. However I never feel bad about speaking up when serious injustice is occurring. Rock on, pel!

    ReplyDelete