Thursday, February 4, 2010

Locked Out

For those of you who may not know. My husband and his fellow mine workers were walked to the gate and their work keys, time cards, work phones, etc. were taken from them Jan 31. My husband was not even allowed to get his work tools. They were locked out because management and the union had not been able to reach an agreeable contract. So instead of continuing talks the mine just locked the workers out.



So now my husband is out of work and the mine has brought replacement workers in. Probably from their borax mine in Argentina. I am sure they think minimum wage is great!

My husband is at the mine right now attempting to retrieve his tools. He bought them himself and he has about $15,000 invested in them along with a large rolling toolbox. I hope they are not giving him any hassles.

5 comments:

  1. Terrible that your husband is out of work!
    I hope your husband finds another job soon and wish you and your family all the best in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. The company has not attempted any talks with the worker's union and things are not looking good. My husband is applying for jobs, but since we are isolated in a mining town we may have to abandon our house and relocate with nothing. I am really scared. We have no savings and since our house is worth less than we owe on it due to the economy we may end up living in our truck. Ugh I really hope it doesn't come to that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's horrible. Sweetie, you and your family are in my thoughts. I hope everything is okay!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear this - the month has escaped me and I've not been by to check - but how awful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A federal mediator has asked both sides to come to the table. The Union has happily agreed. Lets see what the Company does. Hopefully they will start to negotiate again.

    ReplyDelete