Sunday, April 18, 2021

A Plea For Standardization

Doing electrical on a dollhouse is pretty stressful even if you don’t have any problems. If you run into a snag then it becomes a nightmare. 
The original transformer I was using for this dollhouse was very old. I don’t even know how old. When it decided to go crazy, it fried the junction splice. We are talking sparks shooting and smoke. So I buy a new transformer and dig out another junction splice from my parts bin. This is all working well until I needed to remove the junction splice to add the brick. The splice broke. Going onto Amazon I buy a new junction splice that looks like the one I had. I receive a different one. Looks like cir-kit changed their junction splices at some point.

Old splice



New splice


So I try to plug in the lead in wire. The prongs are too big! Well dang it. I go back to Amazon and order a new lead in wire that specifically says it will fit cir-kit part CK1007 which is what I now have. 
It came in the mail yesterday and guess what? It doesn’t fit!



The prongs are the same size as the old lead in wire. I head over to the cir-kit website and they want $13.95 shipping for a $5 wire that they will just put in a padded envelope and ship first class for $3. Screw that. That is highway robbery. I went to eBay this time and found what looks to be the old style junction splice for sale. I bought two. Goddess help me if they don’t work because I am about done with this tomfoolery. Standardized parts for electrical should be a rule.  Forcing people to buy multiple of parts because they changed something is ridiculous. 
So this is were I am at right now. I have one room left undone and need the electricity so I can make sure the tape wire is operational. In the entryway I only have the ceiling light to put up, but without electricity I can’t tell where to put the dang plug. Maybe I will just start sawing the wood for the outside board and batten. That should keep me occupied instead of stewing over this.
Peldyn

No comments:

Post a Comment