Friday, April 23, 2021

Gryffindor Fireplace: The Dollhouse Saga

A Harry Potter room has to have a fireplace. Something to sit in front of while reading The Dibbler. This was a challenge in many ways. It was my first completely from scratch item, it was my first time trying to do such tiny tiny painting. The violas are huge in comparison. Also the first time making a “fire” from the ground up. 
Here is how it began;






I cut those curves on the hearth by hand. I would not recommend it if you have hand issues






Filling in any gaps with paper clay, plus I used it to moulding the edge of the hearth.





A dry fit to see how it looks.


Checking to see how the brick looked for the back



Next up was sketching the crest and building the fire


The crest is so tiny I could barely see it. I can’t wait for my new glasses to get here.


I disassembled the tea light and decided how it will fit in the space.


I painted it black so it would be more hidden.


I dropped some alcohol paint on a piece of plastic to simulate flames/glowing coals.




I secured the tea light with a couple strips of brick paper.


I crinkled the plastic and tried to fit over the tea light. Next time I will used a thinner plastic like maybe from a bread bag. This was stiff and not easy to work with.


Building up the twigs around the fire.



The husband said “That is a big fire.” The better to keep you warm my dear.


The finished fireplace!  Because the tea light was so bulky, the fire built around it is a bit bulky too. It still looks amazing! Just the thing to keep Harry and Hedwig warm this winter.
Peldyn

No comments:

Post a Comment